5.14.2009

Baby Girl Update

An update on our baby girl ( this is a copy of an email I sent to our family and friends ):


As you know we're approaching our due date and we'll soon have the newest addition to our family! I wanted to give you an update on what's going on with our stubborn little peanut since I had a pretty informative appointment today. I had an ultrasound to confirm she is still indeed in a breech position ( bum first ) and it's called "frank breech" where her little feet are actually up by her head. I also found out that she is measuring a little under 6 lbs, I sure hope that is accurate, as most of you know she's been measuring small most of the pregnancy and was showing up in the 3rd percentile for her size back at 32 weeks. Unfortunately I learned my fluid levels are very low, and I had to have a NST ( non stress test ) immediately after my ultrasound. This scared me quite a bit to say the least, but all looks good, she has a strong heart rate and had enough movements to make them feel she was doing well enough to send me home today. My midwife told me that some times low fluid could mean the placenta isn't functioning properly, but also told me that often times in pregnancy you may have low fluid and not even know unless you had an ultrasound to tell you so, since I have been having more ultrasounds we were able to learn this and now we can take extra care of her to make sure she is doing ok. The most unfortunate result of all of this is that we won't be able to try and turn her around, it'll be too dangerous at this point with the fluid being so low and her bum so far into my pelvis. I am extremely dissapointed that I won't have the same labor and birth that I did with Taylor, and unless a miracle happens and she turns around on her own, a cesarean section is in my future.
We have another ultrasound and NST scheduled for Monday and I'll report back to you with an update after. At this point I just hope we can let her bake as long as she needs to so she can grow and be nice and healthy when she gets here. Please pray for our baby girl, send her lots of positive thoughts and think "Turn Baby Turn". :-)

6 comments:

Elaine's Semi-Homemade Life said...

So sorry for your news, Courtney! I know you were hoping for something diff...
This all sounds VERY similar to my pg with Big Sis, actually. She was frank breech the ENTIRE time. Then we were in a bad car accident at 33 wks and they told me there was no way she'd be able to turn. I was having lots of NSTs (I had gone into preterm labor after the accident that was sucessfully stopped.) Anyway, I had low fluid, too... and a c/s. I was just happy that I kept her in for another 5 wks, and didn't care how she got here. And all was fine. Amazing, in fact. I had the best birth with her (and G-man, who was also a c/s). Hang in there! And email me anytime. :)

Elaine's Semi-Homemade Life said...

Courtney, I just sent you a message on bbc with my email. Talk to you soon! :)

Kristin said...

Tell that little girl to turn around and listen to her mommy! Either way she'll be here soon, the only thing that matters is she's healthy and Donnie gets his whopper!

MaryBeth said...

:( Sending you lots of positive turning vibes! I am about to have my 2nd c-section, so if indeed that turns out how this baby girl comes into the world, please feel free to email me and I'll answer any questions. Still, I know that isn't the birth experience you were hoping for.

Special K said...

Honey, I wish the best for you. All I can say is that I DID flip him and I will forever think all of his delays are from that shortness of oxygen that happened the entire day and maybe weeks after. My advice to mommies is if you flip him and his heart rate is not normal, go with the emergency cesarean, even if your doc has left the building. Hoping for the best for you!

Special K said...

Also, they said the reason he flipped back was that his cord was wrapped. They said some babies will flip into their cord and then freak during labor and that's why they stay breech, but with the feet over their necks in ultrasound, they can't see the cord. So I always had solace in the fact that I could have been pushign him into a worse position and he did flip back.